Editor’s Note: 2014 Year In Review
The fact that 2014 is already over is pretty unbelievable. This year seemed to have just flown right by before our eyes! During the last month of the year, I like to take a little time and reflect over the previous 12 months. I really enjoy taking a look over the goals that I’ve set for myself for the year, and seeing where I finished off. I love doing this because it puts my past year into perspective, and gives me an idea of where I’ll be headed for the upcoming year. As I sit down and look over 2014 for M.A.W.Beauty, I’d have to say we’ve had quite a progressive year, and I really couldn’t be more proud of my studio and my team.
Some of our biggest accomplishments for 2014 include:
- Relocating! In July, 2014, I made the decision to relocate M.A.W.Beauty from the refurbished mill space in Pawtucket, RI that I had opened the studio in, to a large 1,600 sq. ft. mill space in Lincoln, RI. This was such a scary decision, and was also bittersweet. I loved my little pink studio…so much love went into creating that space and I was very sad to be leaving it. On the other hand, I was really happy to be moving to a nicer location with much more space for me and my clients. I was also excited to create a more mature looking and feeling space. I was 26 years old when I originally opened M.A.W.Beauty. Now, at almost 30, my vision has matured and so have I, and it feels really nice to have a studio that matches that growth.
- Best of Weddings. I always get nervous during “wedding award season”. I always tell myself that even if I don’t get a ton of reviews and win an award, I’ll be okay because I know my team and I have worked hard to do an amazing job for all of our brides. Truth is, that’s a lie…I love to win! To me, its a huge accomplishment to have our past brides leave a positive review of their service online for the world to see, and its an even bigger accomplishment to be rewarded for those great reviews. In 2014, M.A.W.Beauty Hair & Makeup Studio was awarded “Best of Weddings 2015” by The Knot.com. This marked our 3rd consecutive year winning this prestigious award, and we couldn’t have been more thrilled!
- One of my goals for the year was to be published either in a regionally or nationally distributed magazine. I teamed up with Olivia Gird from Olivia Gird Photography for a beautiful bohemian styled shoot that was accepted to WellWed Magazine and published. I was in disbelief, yet so happy that my goal became a reality!
- On the business end of things, I’ve worked very diligently over the last year to really streamline our process and create the easiest booking experience for M.A.W.Beauty Brides. I know that if I were planning a wedding (in addition to living and working and handling everything else that women handle), I would want the process to be as easy and simple as possible. I was incredibly happy to find programs that allowed me to do that and a courtesy to my bridal clients.
- Last, but certainly not least, my team and I pulled through some very stressful times this year. While I’d like to think that each artist that I bring on to my team is going to stick it out in the long run, the reality is that sometimes people are really just flaky. It’s very unfortunate. Fortunately, though, I have an AMAZING team of dedicated artists who will pull through at a moments notice when the team is in need. The M.A.W.Beauty Artists have always been super reliable, but this season, they all showed up with their game faces on! As a business owner, I’ve grown to know that it is so difficult to find reliable help that is also talented, and it is a hugely major accomplishment when you finally do!
All in all, 2014 was a good year. Our brides, studio clients, and my awesome team of artists have made 2014 such a progressive year, and I couldn’t be more grateful! I’m proud of the growth that M.A.W.Beauty Hair & Makeup Studio has seen over this past year, and I’m really excited to see how much more growth will happen in 2015!
See you next year..